Sometimes you may notice that the number of registered devices in Pushwoosh is larger than in your own CRM or Business Intelligence tool. The reason for that is usually the accumulation of outdated and invalid devices.
The most effective way to keep your userbase up-to-date is to send broadcast notifications to the entire audience every once in a while. When you send a broadcast campaign, all push tokens in your userbase are validated by Apple and Firebase notification services. If there are any invalid push tokens detected, Pushwoosh removes them from your userbase.
However, if you are only sending transactional or segmented notifications to small parts of your userbase, this may contribute to accumulation of inactive devices, since Pushwoosh cannot validate your entire userbase effectively enough.
To keep your userbase up to date without sending any broadcast campaigns, you can use Silent pushes. Silent pushes were designed to pass data to apps remotely without users being aware of that, meaning that such pushes are absolutely invisible to users.
In this article, we will guide you through creation of automation based on Silent Push which will help keeping your userbase nice and clean.
Step 1. Creating Preset with a Silent Push
1. Select application and go to Send Push form.
2. Deselect all platforms except iOS and Android. Web and Desktop platforms do not support silent pushes.
3. Scroll down and check Silent Push checkbox for iOS:
The message field should become grayed out and not available.
Repeat the same for Android:
4. When this is done, scroll down to the very bottom of the page to review the summary. It should look like this:
Make sure there is no content, the target platforms are iOS and Android, and for both there is a silent notification: 1 setting.
5. If everything is fine, click Save Preset:
Now that the preset is saved, let's create an automation.
Step 2. Setting up an Autopush
1. Go to the Autopushes section of your app and click Add Autopush.
2. Give it a name, description, and select a Silent Push preset from the dropdown menu:
Before proceeding any further, make sure that the message field in preview is empty.
3. Set up the frequency, day and time for your silent push. It is recommended to send a silent push at least once a week.
4. Disable Use conditions checkbox to make sure that the silent push reaches your entire userbase, and click Save.
Now you are all set! The silent push will be sent out regularly according to the frequency settings that you specified, and will help keeping your userbase up to date.